Details from Mike DuHaime on Rudy Giuliani:
- 60k donors. Thinks that this can grow. Lower than McCain’s and Romney’s.
- $33m raised for this cycle
- $11m spent in Q2
- $18m CoH and $0 debt
- "Finance numbers catching up polling numbers"
Campaign contnuing to grow:
- Active in 12 states
- "Only candidate who can win the general election"
- Can pick up NJ. CT, RI, WA, OR, PA.
- Says that other candidates cannot.
- Anne Dunsmore is credited for finance operation. We last met Anne when she left Mitt Romney’s operation
Anne had platitudes.
Ian Schwartz. Asked about McCain’s failure. DuHaime is worried about Rudy not McCain.
Ed Morrissey. Rate of fundraising.DuHaime says that they are increasing from quarter-to-quarter.
I asked about the 12 states that they have staff in. DuHaime would not say. I also asked about expanding the 60k donors and they said that they were confident that they would expand it.
It strikes me that part of the reason that Rudy’s burn rate is so low is that he does not yet have the infrastructure for Feb. 5th in place. He is in great shape, don’t get me wrong, but the campaign is not fully up and running.
It is likely that the real test for him in Q3 will be the number of donors he adds. He has to demonstrate a depth of grassroots support that he has not yet.